Monday, March 7, 2011

"The Foodie Awards"

In spirit of the ending of award season 2011, I will award my favorite gluten-free & dairy-free brands among several categories. Since my diagnosis six years ago, I have become quite the critic among emerging brands in the gluten-free market. The categories include: Best bread, Best pasta, Best Cookie, Best Cracker and Best Bagel.

BEST BREAD: Udi's
Available in White, Multigrain and Cinnamon Raisin

Udi's gluten-free products are new front-runners for taste, quality and bargain for gluten-free bread. Yes, a loaf of bread is around 6 or 7 dollars but it's worth every penny to finally have a delicious sandwich that doesn't taste like cardboard.

BEST PASTA: Schar Tagliatelle
Available in Spaghetti, Fusilli, Penne, Multigrain Penne and Anellini

This pasta is a staple in my diet. I keep atleast two boxes in my kitchen for a quick and delicious meal. Tagliatelle is my favorite noodle shape but all of them are tasty. It takes about 6-9 minutes to cook and tastes great without needing to be masked by sauce.

Runner Up: Kinnikinnick KinniToos Sandwich Creme Cookies

These are my absolute favorite gluten-free cookies. In fact, I love all of Kinnikinnick's cookies. Kinnitoos are my second favorite because they taste almost the same as regular gluten-filled Oreos and come in both vanilla and chocolate. Check out their whole cookie section online because they are hard to find in stores. Worth the shipping cost!

Available in Almond, Hazelnut, BBQ, Sea Salt, Smokehouse, Cheddar Cheese and Country Ranch

Not only are there many varieties of these crackers but all of the ones I've tasted (or am allowed to taste because of my milk allergy) are filled with flavor. They can be eaten plain or with hummus (my favorite), salsa or guacamole, you name it! Most food stores carry these crackers but the Blue Diamond website has a locator to find the closest retailer.

BEST BAGEL: Udi's
Available in Plain, Whole Grain and Cinnamon Raisin

Once again, Udi's wins hands-down. Before these came on the gluten-free market, I hadn't found any edible bagels. They stay soft and don't need to be toasted (shocker)! I use my dairy-free cream cheese or peanut butter on top and it makes an easy breakfast.


You've probably noticed that I didn't award a Best Pizza. This is because I have yet to find a good pre-packaged pizza that is both gluten and dairy free. Most people swear by Amy's frozen pizzas, but they don't sit right with me. I'll make another post once I discover a brand I am partial to.

Happy pain-free eating!



3 comments:

  1. This is the result by you "pro vaccination" users. If you just stopped using these psuedo-science placebos, you wouldn't have these allergies. Gluten is as American as it gets (ie apple pie), so are you anti-American?

    Food allergies are all in the head, gluten is part of nature and there is no way that humans have evolved to the point where food hurts them. There have been studies to back this up. Also, I would hope your Award Season 2011 doesn't end 3 months in.
    (This is an assignment, please do not take seriously)

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to my allergy test, yes, I am allergic to America. Also, I'd like to see these studies and would like to show you studies about how gluten can affect someone's body (gluten ataxia and celiac disease).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristian's comment is great. And I'm assuming this is your reaction. Funny. And your new post really does a good job dissuading these sort of ridiculous vaccine conspiracy theories.

    ReplyDelete