Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gluten-free going mainstream


www.glutenfreephilly.com
So I was at Acme today doing my regular shopping for fruit and the select few gluten-free items they have when I discovered gluten-free/dairy-free TASTYKAKE cookies! I was in shock. I hit my friend who is also gluten-free and pointed. We both grabbed boxes of chocolate chocolate chip and chocolate chip to try. It's gotta be good if it's Tastykake right? RIGHT. They taste so good like they're filled with gluten but Tastykake assures us that they are not! Of course they're 130 calories per cookie but for someone like me, who cares!? I had to do more research. I stumbled upon the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness website and found an article about the cookies. Only to find this amazing bit of information that made me jump for joy:

"Tasty Baking Company is latest mainstream manufacturer to address gluten-free needs. Last December, PostFoods announced that its Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles would soon bear a gluten-free label, while Kellogg’s quietly revealed last month that it’s working on a gluten-free version of Rice Krispies
cereal."
- NFCA

I can't believe great cereal is finally coming into the gluten-free market! I literally told my friend tonight that cereal is the only thing that hasn't been further developed. I used to LOVE Rice Krispies and now I can have them again! All is wonderful in the gluten-free population.

Another recent gluten-free addition I discovered is Mike's Lite Hard Lemonade now comes gluten-free! The lemon and cranberry "lite" flavors are safe now.

This was such an exciting post that I apologize for all of the "!"

:)

1 comment:

  1. An energetic post. I was a bit distracted by the varied typefaces and colors. It's natural that the quoted material be different, but you made your own comments in different types and colors.

    The added links are good, but it wasn't always clear (because of the various colors and underlines) what words WERE links. Just stay consistent.

    ReplyDelete